Hokies rise to No. 7 in this week's ACC Power Rankings
By Mack McCarthy
2/13/18 ACC POWER RANKINGS:
1. VIRGINIA. The winning streak came to an end vs. rival Virginia Tech, but I still see nothing to keep them from being the top seed.
2. CLEMSON. Florida State and Duke this week. ‘nuff said.
3. NORTH CAROLINA. A good week with wins over their Triangle rivals Duke and State, and Notre Dame.
4. DUKE. The Devils drop a spot after losing at the Dean Dome, but I’m still a believer that they’ll be there in the end.
5. MIAMI. Lost to BC and beat WF, but a big week coming up with Virginia, Syracuse, and Notre Dame.
6. FLORIDA STATE. Losing to Virginia and Notre Dame gives them a losing record in league play. Can you make the tourney with a losing record? I think not this year. Schedule down the stretch will be a challenge with Clemson twice, Pitt, NC State, and BC. It’s going be close.
7. VIRGINIA TECH. Sweeping NC State and Virginia was a great week. How will the Hokies handle this success? At Duke and GT will provide the answer.
8. NC STATE. Entered the rankings last week and promptly lost to Virginia Tech and UNC. I left them in the rankings because they could sweep this week. Won’t be easy on the road but it’s at Syracuse and Wake Forest.
9, LOUISVILLE. Trying to get back in the picture, the Cards won twice this week but the wins were over GT and Pitt. Major opportunity this week against UNC.
About the Author: Mack McCarthy has spent over 40 years in Division I Athletics including 19 years as head basketball coach at Chattanooga, VCU, and East Carolina. Mack led his Chattanooga teams to the NCAA Tournament five times including a trip to the Sweet 16. Mack works as a TV Color Analyst for multiple networks covering the ACC, SEC, Conference USA, Big South, CAA and Southern Conferences.