ACC Power Rankings: 'Canes, Tigers movin' on up.
By Mack McCarthy
Not a lot went on last week and not much coming up until most teams start league play December 30. We’ve got a few changes in the power rankings and a few games to look back at or forward to:
1. NORTH CAROLINA. A really good win for the Tarheels at Tennessee. Maye, Berry, and Pinson are carrying Carolina while the very talented young bigs are getting ready for league play.
2. DUKE. Been off since being off vs. Boston College. Can’t wait to watch the Blue Devils and Seminoles on the 30th.
3. MIAMI. Being unbeaten this close to Christmas moves the Hurricanes up in the rankings. A nice Hawaiian vacation is coming up with just an average field. A good MTSU team in the opposite bracket might make for an interesting championship game.
4. FLORIDA STATE. A surprising close loss to Oklahoma State dropped the ‘Noles behind their state rival, for now.
5. VIRGINIA. Tony Bennett’s team is playing predictably solid basketball and looking for a third reliable scorer.
6. CLEMSON. Had a win over a talented but struggling Florida team. Big rivalry game tonight with the Gamecocks.
7. SYRACUSE. They beat Georgetown last week. That used to be a big win.
8. VIRGINIA TECH. Had a big opportunity at Kentucky, but turnovers cost them. No real challenges until traveling to the ‘Cuse for a New Year’s Eve party.
9. LOUISVILLE. They beat Memphis last week. That used to be a big win.
10. NOTRE DAME. I’m hanging with Mike Brey in the rankings, but two losses to mediocre teams in their own state has them teetering on the bubble.
About the Author: Mack McCarthy has spent over 40 years in Division I Athletics including 19 years as head basketball coach at Chattanooga, VCU, and East Carolina. Mack led his Chattanooga teams to the NCAA Tournament five times including a trip to the Sweet 16. Mack works as a TV Color Analyst for multiple networks covering the ACC, SEC, Conference USA, Big South, and Southern Conferences.